Monday, January 14, 2013

A change for 2013...

from Meghann:

Because it's a new year, and it's the time for resolutions and starting fresh, I figured this was the best time to make a little change to the blog...

From now on, it will just be me, Meghann, blogging from my point of view. And here's a little secret, it's been mostly my project the whole time, although Graham does help with proofing each post. You might have noticed the "from Meghann" in the top left that shows up in many recent posts (including this one). That will disappear, but just know that it's my writing that you are reading.


When we started this blog it was simply a way to keep in touch and share pictures while living in España. As time went on, I started to really enjoy taking photos and writing posts (it's the only type of journaling I've ever been able to keep up with, and there are plenty of empty or barely written-in fancy notebooks around the casa to attest to this). But I started to feel limited by using "we" all of the time (not to mention "she" makes me feel totally third-person creepy) and trying to stay universal in describing experiences.

Don't worry, there will still be a good amount of "we" because we do so much together. Graham will be around in plenty of photos (especially since I'm the photographer of the familia) and stories. He may even stop in to do a post of his own at random times.


Some things may change though...

I will be trying to blog more and would like to include some of the smaller details of our daily life, as well as some things that are unique to España. Personal opinions, thoughts, emotions...there will probably be more of those since I'll be writing from my own point of view and not for both of us. The content of the blog may change a little as I am freed up to write about whatever strikes my fancy, without having to worry about "speaking" for Graham. (Which is also a perfect example of something Graham would never say - "strikes my fancy".) 

Also, I want to try to increase the readership. I love each and every one of you for taking the time to read, comment, give a thumbs up on facebook, or mention the blog in person. For a long time, I was pretty convinced it was just our Moms clicking over and over again (hola Moms, love you too!). But I think this little blog might be ready to get out into the world more (not like move out and get its own apartment, but just big enough to go to kindergarten and finger-paint for a few hours). Maybe I'll even do a little giveaway now and then...

What won't change...

Overall, the blog will continue to have a positive tone. I will do my best to keep it real (not loving a particular city, for example), but I won't be sharing every single crappy thing that happens, and believe me, they do. Overall, I am just so grateful to have this overseas opportunity and wouldn't want to give the impression that I am not. 

I won't be negative, use potty language, or heap on the sarcasm (although I do plenty of those things in "real" life). I won't get political or talk too much about the military. One reason is because I want to respect Graham's professional life, the other is because it's just not in my comfort zone. Plus, there are already plenty of other great blogs that cover those issues.  


Also, it may be a strange thing for someone who has a blog to say, but I'm a bit of an introvert, and just can't imagine putting everything out there. This isn't an anonymous or secret blog (although I don't use our last names) and the initial audience was our family and friends. Anyone and everyone (ha!) can read it if they choose, so I will be maintaining a certain level of privacy. If you have any specific or nitty gritty questions about life in España, living and traveling overseas, or being a Navy wife (or just want to commiserate), feel free to email or message me privately. 

This blog began as a way to share our newlywed life in España - travel, food, culture, and pictures of tiny dogs. It's a lifestyle blog, a journal of sorts, and that's the way we I intend to keep it. 


So, any thoughts? What would you like to see more/less of? And did anyone notice that I completely avoided using the phrase "big news!" or "big announcement!"? It's dangerous...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hola! Feel free to leave some love. Muchas gracias for stopping by!